The original national monument was not the one in the form of human figures but was a cenotaph that was situated in the middle of a roundabout. The British administration set up the first monument, a 10 meter flat grass-covered ground to commemorate the wars and honour the fallen heroes from WW1, WW2 and the Malayan Emergency. It was moved to the present site during the construction of a flyover in 1964 connecting Jalan Sultan Hishamuddin and the Parlimen roundabout. Therefore the original name for Jalan Tugu, where the National Monument is currently situated, was Cenotaph Road.
On the monument, it is written "To Our Glorious Dead with dates of the WW1 (1914-1918), WW2 (1939-1945) and the Emergency (1948-1960)".
Source : Wikipedia