The first monument was later replaced with the National Monument (Tugu Negara), an idea mooted by Malaysia's 1st Prime Minister YAB Tunku Abdul Rahman and was commissioned in 1963. Tunku Abdul Rahman had the inspiration for the monument when he saw the USMC War Memorial statue during his visit the United States in October 1960. He then personally met Felix de Weldon for a favour to design the monument. De Weldon was later conferred with the title Tan Sri, the Malaysian equivalent of a high ranking knighthood. The huge tall bronze figures of soldiers standing and supporting their fallen comrades, which is opposite Lake Garden is regarded as the largest bronze monument grouping in the world. The National Monument was completed and officially opened on 8th February 1966 by the Yang Di Pertuan Agong of Malaysia (HRH King of Malaysia). It was proclaimed a memorial park dedicated to the 11,000 peoples who died during the 12 year Malayan Emergency (1948-1960). Thereafter, a wreath laying ceremony takes place at the monument every July 31st on Warriors Day. Every day at dawn, a soldier raises the national flag and lowers it at dusk.